This is probably the easiest recipe for filled cupcakes. The shortening and butter give the icing a stable consistency. However, make sure you cool your cupcakes completely before filling them. The icing will melt if the cake is too hot!
- 1 batch of your favorite cupcakes baked and cooled
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsps milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
Step 1: Beat softened butter and shortening together in a medium size bowl.
Step 2: Slowly add sugar and milk until well incorporated.
Step 3: Add vanilla.
Makes enough to fill 20 small cupcakes.
Filling Technique #1:
What You'll Need: Zip-lock bag
- Snip the end off the zip-lock bag. Spoon in icing mixture.
- Gently push the bag tip into the center of the cake and squeeze filling into the cupcake.
Filling Technique #2:
What You'll Need: Pastry Bag and Icing Tip (Round Tip 8, 9 or Bismarck 230)
- Assemble your pastry bag and icing tube.
- Spoon filling into the icing bag.
- Push icing tip into the center of the cake and squeeze filling into the cupcake.
Filling Technique #3:
This is a great technique if you are using thinned icing.
What You'll Need: Squeeze Bottle with a Straight Tip
- Fill your clean squeeze bottle with the thinned icing.
- Create an opening in the center of the cupcake with your finger or the handle end of a wooden spoon.
- Gently fill the cupcake with icing.
Return to the Cupcake Frosting page
from this Filled Cupcakes page